Irresistibly soft, fluffy and delicious milk buns! Chiwawa is thrilled to welcome back guest chef Priscilla Lee to share her go-to recipe for making these yummy milk bread. Tried and tested, and made with the support of her sous-chef daughter, these are bound to be a hit for the whole family - so get ready, and let's make some mess in the kitchen!
Bread flour - 300g
Sugar - 20g
Salt - 6g
Instant yeast - 3g
Water - 175g
Milk - 30g (can be replaced with vegan milk)
Butter - 15g
1. Mix all ingredients except for butter in a bowl and transfer the dough onto a working surface and knead for around 10 minutes until it forms a thick window pane. The dough will be sticky, try to avoid adding extra flour.
2. Add in butter and continue to knead until butter is fully absorbed forming a soft, smooth dough.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and place back into the bowl. Cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm place (~ 35C) until it doubles in size. (around 40 minutes)
4. With a bit of flour on your finger tip, poke it gently to see if the first proof is complete. It should bounce back just slowly and leaving an indent.
5. Divide into 8 doughs of around 67g each. Roll them into small round balls, cover with cling wrap and bench rest for 15 minutes.
6. Lightly sift some bread flour, flatten each small dough and reshape them into small balls.
7. Use a chopstick and press at the center of the dough.
8. Cover and leave for second fermentation for around 35 minutes.
9. Preheat your oven to 150C.
10. Lightly sift bread flour on top of your buns and put them into the oven for 15 minutes.
Enjoy your very soft milky bums... buns!
** This recipe was adapted from a recipe by Japanese YouTuber Mocha.
Make learning Chinese fun with Chiwawa! Follow up @chiwawa.chinese on Facebook and instagram for the latest updates on classes and more free resources like these!