Looking for a healthy and delicious treat? Our guest bakers, Priscilla and her daughter Sophie, are back with another easy to follow, sure to satisfy Apple Bun recipe! Get your hands stuck in, have fun, and bake with the little ones!
Bread flour - 200g (Optional: add in ~7g red yeast powder to make your bread look more like red apples!) Sugar - 20g Salt - 3g Instant yeast - 3g Milk - 75g
Egg - 1 whole egg (~55g) Unsalted butter - 20g (soften at room temperature)
Apples - 100g
Cinnamon - 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar - 15g
Unsalted butter - 15g
Pretzel/ cinnamon stick as apple stem
Pumpkin seed/ almond as apple leaf
1. Mix all ingredients except for butter in a bowl and transfer the dough onto a working surface and knead for around 10 minutes.
2. Add in butter and continue to knead until butter is fully absorbed forming a soft, smooth dough.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and place back into the bowl. Cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm place (~ 35C) until it doubles in size. (around 45 minutes)
4. Prepare apple fillings during the dough's 1st fermentation. Dice 100g apples.
5. Melt butter into a low fire pan, stir in apple cubes, cinnamon powder and sugar, cook for around 5 minutes until mixture thickens. Leave to cool.
6. With a bit of flour on your finger tip, poke it gently to see if the first proof is complete. It should bounce back just slowly and leaving an indent.
7. Divide into 9 doughs. Roll them into small round balls, cover with cling wrap and bench rest for 15 minutes.
8. Lightly butter your muffin pan to make sure your bread will not stick to the pan.
9. Flatten each dough ball and place apple fillings at the center. Be reminded to keep your fingers clean from the fillings when trying to wrap the fillings inside the dough.
10. Use a pretzel or cinnamon stick as the stem and pumpkin seed or almond slice as a little apple leaf :) Have fun decorating!
11. Cover and leave for a second fermentation for around 35 minutes. 12. Preheat your oven to 170C. 13. Place them into the oven for 15-17 minutes. ENJOY!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and enjoy!
** This recipe was adapted from Apron on YouTube.