A delicious bonding activity to introduce Chinese culture and buns to kids. Follow our step-by-step recipe by Priscilla Lee and add some fun to your online Chinese learning!
Filling: Purple sweet potato 200g Sugar 18g Milk 18g
Dough: Bread flour 250g Instant yeast 3g Sugar 30g Milk powder 10g Egg 25g Water 130g Salt 3g Unsalted butter 25g (at room temperature)
1. Put all ingredients except for butter and mix in a bowl into a wet dough.
2. Transfer the wet dough onto a working surface and start to knead for around 10 minutes. The dough will be sticky, try to avoid adding extra flour.
3. Once the dough becomes less sticky and forms a thick window pane, add in butter and continue to knead until butter is fully absorbed into the dough. It takes around an other 10 minutes until it becomes a soft, smooth dough.
4. Shape the dough into a ball and place into a bowl. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave in a warm place until it’s around 1.5 times the size. Leave it for around 40-60 minutes. *I placed a plate of hot water into my oven to create a humid, warm environment for this first proof.
5. Steam sweet potato until soft.
6. Place sweet potato, sugar and milk into a bowl and mash them together with a fork.
7. With a bit of flour on your finger tip, poke it gently to see if first proof is complete. It should bounce back just slowly and leaving an indent.
8. Divide into 8 doughs of around 55g each. Roll them into small round balls, cover with a cloth/ cling wrap and rest for 15 minutes.
9. Take your first small dough and flatten into a circle. Place a portion of your sweet potato fillings at the center, wrap the fillings up and pinch the opening tightly. Repeat for the remaining balls.
10. Flatten the dough balls with fillings gently and make 5 cuts.
11. Flower 1 - pinch the cut openings to look like petals // Flower 2 - make a cut in the middle of the two precious cuts and turn the dough towards each other.
12. After shaping, leave for final proofing for around 30-40 minutes.
13. Preheat oven to 180C.
14. Apply a thin layer of egg on the bread and bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Happy Baking! #learnchinesethroughplay
Team Chiwawa x